I noticed this vine yesterday. growing on the edge of a stand of saplings. I’ve become more familiar with the more common Oriental Bittersweet vines and Poison Ivy that infest the trees here, so this one stood out somewhat because of it’s extra large leaf which is about 8 inches across.
What is it? Indigenous? Invasive? Poisonous? I can’t seem to find any information on it.
The verdict is in! It’s all three things, indigenous, invasive and poisonous. Apparently, native Americans would chop up the root, pulverize it, then throw it into a lake or pond to stun the fish.
The ‘cucumbers’ look like this –
We’ll know in a few weeks when the pods start developing hopefully!